The SISTERS project proposes a set of cross-sectorial systemic innovations addressed to reduce Food Loss and Waste (FLW) generated in every stage of the Food Value Chain in Europe: SISTERS will solve the main existing challenges in Production, Processing, Marketing (retailing/wholesaling), Consumption, and the Logistics among stages.
Only in the EU, we generate every year around 89M tonnes of FLW, accounting for 20% of the total food produced. In this context, SISTERS will be a key EU project addressing the problem in a holistic way.
SISTERS´s main innovations:
- Production: design of the 1st European Short Chain Platform for farmers.
- Logistics: design of Smart and reusable food containers to diminish food losses during transportation.
- Processing: development of a set of bio-based and home-compostable packaging solutions.
- Marketing: launching of a novel SISTERS Seal of Excellence to promote sustainable practices among retailers.
- Consumption: development of QR codes and dynamic labelling for food packaging to impact retailers and consumers sustainable awareness.